| Subject || |
| Building Materials || |
- Physical and Chemical properties,
- classification, standard tests,
- uses and manufacture/quarrying of materials e.g. building stones, silicate based materials, cement (Portland),
- asbestos products, timber, and wood-based products,
- laminates, bituminous materials, paints, varnishes
| Estimating, Costing and Valuation || |
- estimate, the glossary of technical terms,
- analysis of rates, methods, and unit of measurement,
- Items of work – earthwork, Brickwork (Modular &Traditional bricks),
- RCC work, Shuttering, Timber work, Painting, Flooring, Plastering.
- Boundary wall, Brick building, Water Tank, Septic tank, Bar bending schedule,
- Centre line method, Mid-section formula, Trapezoidal formula,
- Simpson’s rule.
- The cost estimate of Septic tank, flexible pavements, Tube well, isolates and combined footings, Steel Truss, Piles, and pile caps.
- Valuation – Value and cost, scrap value, salvage value, assessed value, sinking fund, depreciation and obsolescence, methods of valuation.
| Surveying || |
- Principles of surveying, measurement of distance, chain surveying, the working of prismatic compass,
- compass traversing, bearings, local attraction,
- plane table surveying, theodolite traversing, adjustment of theodolite, Levelling,
- Definition of terms used in leveling, contouring, curvature and refraction corrections,
- temporary and permanent adjustments of dumpy level,
- methods of contouring use of the contour map,
- Tachometric survey, curve setting, earthwork calculation, advanced surveying equipment
| Soil Mechanics || |
- Origin of soil,
- phase diagram,
- Definitions-void ratio,
- porosity, the degree of saturation,
- water content, the specific gravity of soil grains, unit weights,
- density index and interrelationship of different parameters,
- Grain size distribution curves and their uses.
- Index properties of soils, Atterberg’s limits, ISI soil classification and plasticity chart. Permeability of soil,
- The coefficient of permeability, determination of the coefficient of 12 permeability,
- Unconfined and confined aquifers, effective stress, quick sand, consolidation of soils,
- Principles of consolidation, the degree of consolidation, pre-consolidation pressure, normally consolidated soil,
- E-log p curve, computation of ultimate settlement.
- Shear strength of soils, direct shear test, Vane shear test, Triaxial test.
- Soil compaction, Laboratory compaction test, Maximum dry density and optimum moisture content, earth pressure theories, active and passive earth pressures,
- Bearing capacity of soils, plate load test, and standard penetration test.
| Hydraulics || |
- Fluid properties,
- measurements of flow,
- Bernoulli’s theorem and its application, flow through pipes,
- flow in open channels,
- weirs, flumes, spillways, pumps and turbines
| Irrigation Engineering || |
- Definition, necessity, benefits, effects of irrigation, types and methods of irrigation,
- Hydrology – Measurement of rainfall, run off coefficient, rain gauge, losses from precipitation – evaporation, infiltration, etc.
- Water requirement of crops, duty, delta and base period, Kharif and Rabi Crops, Command area, Time factor, Crop ratio, Overlap allowance, Irrigation efficiencies.
- Different type of canals, types of canal irrigation, loss of water in canals.
- Canal lining – types and advantages.
- Shallow and deep to wells, yield from a well.
- Weir and barrage, Failure of weirs and permeable foundation, Slit and Scour, Kennedy’s theory of critical velocity.
- Lacey’s theory of uniform flow. Definition of the flood, causes and effects, methods of flood control, water logging, preventive measure.
- Land reclamation, Characteristics of affecting the fertility of soils, purposes, methods, description of land and reclamation processes.
- Major irrigation projects in India
| Transportation Engineering || |
- Highway Engineering – cross sectional elements, geometric design, types of pavements, pavement materials – aggregates and bitumen, different tests,
- Design of flexible and rigid pavements – Water Bound Macadam (WBM) and Wet Mix Macadam (WMM), Gravel Road, Bituminous construction,
- Rigid pavement joint, pavement maintenance, Highway drainage, Railway Engineering- Components of permanent way – sleepers, ballast,
- Fixtures and fastening, track geometry, points and crossings, track junction, stations and yards.
- Traffic Engineering – Different traffic survey, speed-flow-density and their interrelationships, intersections and interchanges, traffic signals, traffic operation, traffic signs and markings, road safety
| Environmental Engineering || |
- Quality of water,
- source of water supply, purification of water,
- distribution of water, need of sanitation, sewerage systems,
- circular sewer, oval sewer, sewer appurtenances,
- sewage treatments. Surface water drainage.
- Solid waste management – types, effects, engineered management system.
- Air pollution – pollutants, causes, effects, control. Noise pollution – cause, health effects, control.